Donations? Rewards?

Justsomeanimelover
Founder
Founder
User Title: The Allseeing

Donations? Rewards?

Post by Justsomeanimelover » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 am

In this thread I'd like to discuss two topics when it comes to the subject of $$$ money. The bling bling that keeps the site ring ring. Firstly I want to briefly explain our position in terms of incomes and the methods we have put in place. Secondly I'd like to discuss, and ultimately ask the community about, the possible rewards that come with donating to MAV. This last part will be the biggest topic. TL;DR at the bottom!

Donations/Subscribing
Since a couple of days we have a donation method up and running. If you don't yet know, you can either visit our Patreon page to make a pledge (monthly donations) or donate to us directly via the forum donation button. Both have their pros and cons to MAV and to the donor. We'll review however which method has the least negatives, the most positives and which is preferred by the community. The end effect, to us administrators, is that the site should be as much self-sufficient as possible. If MAV can sustain itself with its own income we can invest any surplus and our own investments into things like advertisements, professional software, more advanced hosting packages, maybe in the future even streaming/downloads.

Rewards
This is what we're really struggling with at the moment. We're looking for some kind of reward to give to our patrons. We've already decided that a title and/or badge system will be put in place. So if you donate you'll receive a distinguishing title and/or badge. The way phpBB works this means that anyone who donates through the forum donation button is automatically moved to a dedicated forum group for a certain amount of time. This forum group is entitled to receive certain titles/badges, and so on. Of course this means that anyone donating via Patreon will have to mention their forum Username with their donation so that we can manually move that person to this group as well.

Image ----->  Image
[sub]These are first drafts by the way. W.I.P.[/sub]

However we feel that a little more incentive could be given to our patrons. We just don't know what exactly. That's what we're asking the community now. If you have any idea what would make for a good incentive to donate, please let us know. Any idea is welcome. We'll discuss its feasibility afterwards but for now we're really just in need of ideas.

TL;DR: we have donations options, now we need suggestions for rewards after donating.

The Maverick
User Title: [NarutoRP] Founder

Re: Donations? Rewards?

Post by The Maverick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:30 am

Usually with other forums I've visited, small 'rewards' are given on-site, like access to a bigger avatar size or sig size, access to exclusive fonts and emotes, access to other fields in their profile?
Just A Small Town Timelord, Living in a Lonely Universe

Willster328

Post by Willster328 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:43 am

The Maverick wrote:Usually with other forums I've visited, small 'rewards' are given on-site, like access to a bigger avatar size or sig size, access to exclusive fonts and emotes, access to other fields in their profile?

Bigger avatar or sig size would be awesome.

As it pertains to badges, not sure how technically difficult it is to accomplish but I loved the old BA's system of "Elite Member" badges. Picking the character badge was always fun, and I quite often donated the $5 to Knives (even if it wasn't really going toward anything) simply because I liked coordinating the badge color to my color scheme, or picking a character that I was particularly fond of.

Asano
Founder
Founder
User Title: [The Last 7th Division Captain| Ignis Rex] Keeper of all things Sacred

Post by Asano » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Willster328 wrote:
The Maverick wrote:Usually with other forums I've visited, small 'rewards' are given on-site, like access to a bigger avatar size or sig size, access to exclusive fonts and emotes, access to other fields in their profile?

Bigger avatar or sig size would be awesome.

As it pertains to badges, not sure how technically difficult it is to accomplish but I loved the old BA's system of "Elite Member" badges. Picking the character badge was always fun, and I quite often donated the $5 to Knives (even if it wasn't really going toward anything) simply because I liked coordinating the badge color to my color scheme, or picking a character that I was particularly fond of.
For avatar and sig sizes that's easy. Also there's currently no limit to on image sizes for sigs (I'll probably set that later). That said what would you like as dimensions for those things? I'll use the suggestions and modify those as soon as possible afterward.
It shouldn't be too hard...though being able to allow people to choose their own badges in the same manner that they could on BA may take some doing. 
That said any money that we do get from donations will (for now) be entirely used for paying the hosting fees, keeping the domain, and advertising. Advertising and promoting the site so that it can grow will be the bulk of what gets spent on the site for now. Currently I'm testing ads right now and collecting data on them in order to plot out the most effective way to carry out the actual ad campaign. That said, once that gets started, it's going to cost a fair amount of money if the plan is to grow beyond what BAM had and the small handful of people that came over from the previous forums.
 On BAM I had planned to spend between 100-150 (maybe as high as 200) monthly, but that's insanely expensive for one dude. Crowd sourcing that would either help pay that entirely, or supplement the funds I had planned to put up for that for larger campaigns. This is of course not counting any contributions made by JSAL and Duckie. 
In the distant future, or once we hit a point where enough money is coming in to both cover the cost of the server, and an effective and continual ad campaign is when I will aim to divert excess funds (or personal money) into stuff for the community. Be it more lucrative rewards for posting and being a long-term member of the forum, hosting contests with various prizes and things of that nature, that will be the next step. 
That said any and all future uses of raised funds and how said funds get spent (in general terms) will be made publicly available. For example a graph showing x% of dontated funds went toward advertising, sever costs, etc. 

It would come in a blur, and seek to lay waste to them all.
In a flash, the beast sought to let loose a calamity crafted by its own hands.
Its sole purpose to leave nothing but charred remains and ash...

Akugaranwa Itachi
User Title: 6th Seat of the 2nd Division.

Post by Akugaranwa Itachi » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:45 am

Must there be a reward for a donation done by the person who would still benefit from it in the long run?

Justsomeanimelover
Founder
Founder

Post by Justsomeanimelover » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:31 am

Akugaranwa Itachi wrote:Must there be a reward for a donation done by the person who would still benefit from it in the long run?
Not sure I understand...

The Maverick
User Title: [NarutoRP] Founder

Post by The Maverick » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:31 am

Just a heads up; clicking 'donate' and then through the 'forum' results in me being told 'You are not authorised to access this area.'
Just A Small Town Timelord, Living in a Lonely Universe

Justsomeanimelover
Founder
Founder

Post by Justsomeanimelover » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:17 am

The Maverick wrote:Just a heads up; clicking 'donate' and then through the 'forum' results in me being told 'You are not authorised to access this area.'
Is that the button on the forum itself or the one on the frontpage?
Last edited by Justsomeanimelover on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Justsomeanimelover
Founder
Founder

Post by Justsomeanimelover » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 am

It appears registered members did not have the rights to donate through the forums. I've changed those permissions so it should work now. Let me know if there's still something preventing the proper functioning of the forum.